Heavy smokers who are trying to break with harmful nicotine addiction for the first time are faced with an irresistible force - a strong craving for the usual occupation. A person can hold on for days and months, and then breaks loose, feels guilty and for a long time loses interest in trying again. Consider how to quit smoking on your own at home, without contacting a narcologist and psychotherapist and without resorting to dubious methods.
Causes of tobacco addiction
To break a habit, you need to know its nature. Addiction develops in two directions: psychological and physiological.The psychological aspect is much stronger - no one is born with a cigarette in their mouth, they come to this occupation later under the pressure of social and emotional situations. In 90% of cases, success in the fight against nicotine addiction appears after determining the factor that prompted the first puff.
Psychologists and sociologists identify the following causes of the problem:
- An example of people around you, especially parents. Children unconsciously strive to grow up and imitate older ones.
- Striving to adapt to the environment. An adult can smoke if he gets into a smoking team. Many are addicted to nicotine in the army, in a school or in prisons.
- Systematic stress. The cigarette provides the illusion of calmness and temporarily stimulates the thought process.
There are studies showing the relationship between social aspects and the acquisition of bad habits. The risk of addiction to nicotine increases with strained relationships between parents, divorce, in dysfunctional and single-parent families. A woman gets used to nicotine faster and it is more difficult for her to quit herself.
Simultaneously with psychological dependence, physiological dependence develops, which does not make it easy to quit. 7 seconds after inhalation of tobacco smoke, nicotine enters the brain through the blood, where it acts on the nicotine-sensitive cholinergic receptor. In response, the body increases the amount of adrenaline and dopamine, the hormone of pleasure. The smoker gets some relaxation and a short euphoria. Further, the mood worsens, depression develops and a new dose of nicotine is required. Dependence develops, acquiring a ritual character: the desire to smoke is "tied" to the end of the working process, the completion of sexual intercourse, eating, a friendly meeting and other circumstances. Therefore, it is more difficult for a heavy smoker to stop than for a beginner.
Why you need to get rid of a bad habit as soon as possible
Only a deaf person has not heard that smoking is harmful. However, not everyone is fully aware of the consequences of this habit, and some are not even aware of. This leads to insufficient motivation and you can get together for years without taking the decisive step towards combating addiction.
Here are just a few facts that explain the need to combat nicotine addiction:
- It has been found that inhalation of tobacco smoke 23 times increases the risk of lung cancer in men and 13 times in women. The likelihood of developing cancer of the larynx also increases.
- Smoking also accounts for 90% of the causes of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Smokers have a 40% increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Every year 600, 000 people die from secondhand smoke. Among them may be relatives of the smoker.
- Tobacco smoke also increases the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). If at least one parent is susceptible to this addiction, his child may die unexpectedly while sleeping. At risk are children aged 1-12 months.
There are other factors that can make you think. For example, a waste of time. It takes an average of 4 minutes to smoke one cigarette. If a smoker needs a pack a day, more than an hour is wasted. 40 hours run in a month, and 480 hours or 20 days in a year. This is time stolen from a family or a favorite business.
Not everyone succeeds in fighting tobacco at home. This is due to the usual environment and situations that cause a strong, uncontrollable desire. In this case, a temporary move or travel will help, you can in the company of non-smokers. With this approach, you can throw abruptly without postponing the matter on the back burner. The opinion that this should not be done has not been confirmed by research.
How to quit smoking on your own at home
You can drink medicine, apply plasters and drink infusions, but if you do not understand the causes of nicotine addiction, everything will be in vain.This is the first thing to do when starting to combat the habit at home. Then you can experiment with techniques for breaking addictions forever.
Cheating the body
Self-hypnosis often helps in combating various kinds of addictions. In the case of smoking, you can try to trick the body by shortening all the cigarettes in the pack in half and folding them back. This method is effective with more than 10 years of experience and use from a pack a day. Its essence lies in deceiving the body: the smoker smokes a "whole" cigarette, but the amount of nicotine and tar comes in half.
Gradual tossing is effective if there is a firm commitment to ending the problem. After a month, you can reduce the amount of tobacco consumed per day. The main thing is to resist the temptation to light one cigarette after another. It's easier than quitting smoking straight away.
The method often helps a girl or a woman and is based on the formation of a disgust reflex. Medicine recognizes aversive therapy in narcology, but the assessment of its effectiveness is ambiguous. The disadvantages include unpleasant symptoms, including nausea and vomiting.
To cause discomfort when smoking, rinse your mouth with one of the following solutions:
- infusion of thermopsis;
- water with tannin;
You can also soak cigarettes in milk or cream, then dry and smoke for at least a week instead of the usual ones. You will not be able to enjoy the taste, the combination of tobacco and milk will cause nausea and even vomiting. Such methods help many, but there are also negative reviews.
A relatively easy method is suitable for smokers regardless of gender and has a sobering effect - many cannot quickly get rid of addiction only because they periodically forget and light a cigarette before they realize what is happening. In this case, a tight elastic band worn on the wrist will help. As soon as the desire arises, you need to pull it off and release it. The sensations are quite sensitive, but the effect is noticeable.
This technique helps even with a weak will, the main thing is to show diligence and constancy. Over time, the sensitivity of the wrist may dull, so you can wear a tighter elastic band. In a similar way, you can really get distracted from thinking about a cigarette.
Oxygen intake helps to effectively fight the withdrawal syndrome, facilitates withdrawal. There are many effective exercises, here is the simplest one that is best done outdoors or on the balcony:
- Stand straight, legs together, lower your arms.
- Slowly inhale deeply through the nose, hold the breath for 5 seconds.
- Also exhale slowly through the mouth.
- Take 10 breaths, rest for a minute.
- Repeat exercise.
If you do the exercise correctly, you can feel dizzy from the excess oxygen entering the blood, this is normal. With regular exercise, the desire to smoke will become weaker, and then completely disappear. Starting exercise sets yourself up for success.
How to quickly quit smoking with folk remedies
A person trying to fight smoking may experience discomfort, dizziness, and a feeling of relaxation in the arms and legs. At the same time, irritability will increase, the development of a depressed state is possible. These violations indicate a withdrawal syndrome, which folk remedies help to fight:
- Infusion of eucalyptus - a tablespoon of leaves in a glass of boiling water, leave for an hour. Drink a quarter glass 6-7 times a day for a month.
- Broth of oats - pour a tablespoon of grain with a glass of water, leave overnight. In the morning simmer on the fire for 10 minutes, then cool, drink instead of tea. According to reviews, with the help of a decoction, you can painlessly get rid of the habit.
- St. John's wort infusion - a tablespoon in two glasses of water, brew for 20 minutes. Drink with honey 5-7 times a day, the duration of the course is at least a month. The infusion is contraindicated in pregnant women.
You can simply mix equal amounts of blackcurrant and peppermint leaves. Pour a teaspoon of the mixture with a glass of boiling water, leave for half an hour. Drink in small sips every time you feel cravings.
Reviews of folk remedies are not always unambiguous. For some people, herbs do not help, others face unpleasant consequences. It is necessary to consult with a competent herbalist before starting treatment. Be guided by the opinion of doctors - cardiologists, narcologists, psychotherapists. They can take into account individual characteristics and find the best ways to deal with addiction.
How to Quit Smoking Easily, Tips from Long-Term Smokers: 10 Tips
It is good practice to adopt someone else's experience. We have collected advice from those who have already got rid of addiction and live freely. They can help you too.
- Don't watch TV at night, it will save your nerves. Sleep 8 hours.
- If the urge to take a cigarette has become unbearable and you are at home, take a cool or contrast shower.
- Stop drinking strong tea and coffee. Caffeine increases a smoker's need for nicotine.
- Try not to overeat or use spices. Eat three times a day to avoid gaining weight.
- Throw out everything that reminds of smoking from the house - ashtrays, lighters, accessories.
- Try not to get into situations in which you are used to taking up a cigarette.
- Try not to be discouraged. As soon as a bad mood comes, the legs will run to the tobacco stall by themselves.
- If you go to bed no later than 10 pm, it will be easier to fight the urge to smoke in the morning.
- Try not to communicate with those who smoke. First, it’s easier to break off that way. Secondly, some "comrades" will try to lead you astray. Throwers' failures are often linked to feelings of envy from others.
- Wear menthol lollipops in a box instead of cigarettes.
The last advice from a Christian for people who believe in God. It is difficult for a person to struggle with himself, but for God everything is possible. If the desire to quit smoking is sincere - ask Jesus Christ about it in prayer. Just get on your knees and tell Him, "Lord, I want to quit, help me. "Believe that He is powerful to deliver you from any sin, including smoking.
Anti-smoking pills, an overview of the most effective drugs
There are no drugs that can completely fight off the craving for inhaling tobacco smoke. The action of the funds is different - they weaken the severity of the withdrawal syndrome and help the body recover faster. Smoking pills can be found in any pharmacy, consider popular and helping drugs.
A powerful remedy for people seeking to quit smoking. It is a powerful natural alkaloid found in Indian tobacco and has a complex effect on the body. If the recommended course is followed, the following effects are observed:
- the frequency of headaches decreases;
- irritability decreases;
- removes nervousness.
Lobelin regulates the work of the respiratory system, as a result, more oxygen enters the body of the thrower, and an accelerated withdrawal from nicotine occurs. Drink 1 tablet up to five times a day for a week. Then the dosage is gradually reduced.
The best herbal product that tastes good and helps reduce cravings for tobacco smoke. The product contains a complex of extracts:
- Clary Sage
- rose hips;
If you want to smoke, you need to dissolve 1-2 pills. The duration of the course can be any, the main thing is that there is no harmful desire.
A powerful medicine that will help to get rid of the addiction for those who cannot control themselves and control desires and have a long history of smoking.
According to the official instructions for use, they drink one tablet twice a day with plenty of water. The dosage rises gradually, at the beginning of the course they drink half 500 mcg once a day, from the fourth day one piece a day, and from the eighth day they take 1 piece. 2 times a day.
The disadvantage of Varenicline is its many side effects. Men and women who quit smoking experienced nausea, bronchitis, increased body mass index, headache, and in some cases, suicidal tendencies.
What happens in the body when you quit smoking
Be aware that the first positive changes in the body come within 20 minutes after quitting smoking - blood pressure gradually normalizes. This information helps to tune in to further struggle.
Subsequent changes at specific intervals:
- 8 hours - the level of carbon monoxide in the blood will drop to a minimum;
- 12 hours - bad breath will disappear;
- day - blood pressure is normalized;
- two days - taste sensations will become brighter;
- third day - physiological dependence disappears;
- week - the sense of smell will fully recover: you will feel a smoking person tens of meters away;
- month - health will return to normal, night cough will disappear, erection in men will increase;
- three months - blood flow will increase, tissue oxygenation will increase by 35%;
- 9 months - the immune system will fully recover, and resistance to colds will increase.
After a year, the risk of developing cancer of the lungs, larynx and esophagus will be halved. Those who quit 5 years ago have the same risk of dying from myocardial infarction as non-smokers.